TD Car Insurance in a Nutshell
- TD Insurance is the insurance arm of Canada financial service giant TD Bank Group.
- TD Insurance is one of the largest insurance companies in Canada and is one of the top three best vehicle and home insurance providers nationwide.
- TD Insurance offers more than just car policies. It also offers motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile, and motorhome insurance.
- In addition to mandatory insurance protection, TD Insurance offers extra coverage like comprehensive protection, accident forgiveness, and rental car insurance.
TD Car Insurance Affiliated Companies
Like many other insurers, TD Insurance has several affiliated companies under its wing. These affiliates are subsidiaries of TD Insurance that help provide its products to a wider customer base.
Here’s a quick look at the companies TD Insurance partners with:
|Primmum Insurance Company
|Primmum Insurance Company underwrites
home and auto insurance policies for employer
groups and the direct market on behalf of
|Security National Insurance Company
|Security National Insurance Company
underwrites home and auto insurance
for professionals and alumni on behalf of
|TD General Insurance Company
|TD General Insurance Company underwrites
home and auto insurance policies for Toronto’s
direct market on behalf of its parent company.
|TD Insurance Direct Agency
|TD General Direct Agency distributes home
and auto insurance underwritten by Security
National Insurance Company in all of Canada
|Meloche Monnex Insurance
and Financial Services Inc.
|Meloche Monnex Insurance and Financial
Services distribute home and auto insurance
underwritten by Security National
Insurance Company in Quebec.
TD Car Insurance Pros and Cons
Every insurance company has pros and cons. To help you decide whether this company is right for you, here are the advantages and disadvantages of a TD Insurance policy:
- TD Insurance offers various extra coverage options to complement your mandatory car insurance coverage.
- You can save up to 30% on car insurance by not making claims for multiple consecutive years.
- Your deductible may drop by 10% for every year you don’t make any claims. If you go claims-free long enough, your deductible could even reach 0%.
- TD Insurance doesn’t offer ridesharing insurance policies.
- TD Insurance doesn’t offer delivery driver insurance policies.
TD Car Insurance Reputation and Reviews
Customer satisfaction is one of the best ways to gauge an insurance company’s quality. However, you can’t just take any review off the Internet and use it to gauge whether or not customers are satisfied. We use J.D. Power’s annual insurance study to ensure we get the best data.
J.D. Power is a marketing firm that publishes Canadian insurer rankings in its annual Canadian Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study. The firm uses consumer feedback to gauge the satisfaction levels of each insurance provider using a five-circle rating, which you can see below:
|Power Circle Ratings Legend
|Among the best
|Better than most
TD Insurance performed relatively well in the most recent study, scoring highest in Atlantic Canada with four circles. It received an average score with three circles in Alberta and Ontario, while it performed with two circles in Quebec.
You can see the full scores in the table below:
|User Satisfaction Rating
TD Car Insurance Rates Changes
Auto insurance rates in Canada fluctuate thanks to changes in the cost of living, inflation, vehicular risk, and many other factors. Because insurance rate changes will directly affect how much you pay for your insurance, it pays to keep an eye on them.
Here’s a quick look at how TD car insurance rates have fluctuated in the past two years:
|Increase by year
|Market share by year
What Types of Car Insurance Does TD Offer?
TD offers mandatory car insurance and optional coverage for Canadian drivers. Here’s a look at what TD Insurance offers:
Mandatory Car Insurance
- Liability coverage
- Direct compensation coverage
- Uninsured vehicle coverage
- Accident benefits coverage
Optional Auto Insurance Coverage
- Specified perils protection
- Comprehensive car insurance
- Collision or upset insurance
- All perils protection
- Accident forgiveness coverage
- Uninterrupted driving coverage
- Limited waiver of depreciation
How to Save on TD Car Insurance With Discounts
Discounts on your TD car insurance policy can save you a lot of money annually. If you’re planning to get the most value from your TD Insurance policy, do these things to get premium discounts:
- Bundle home and auto insurance policies.
- Insure multiple vehicles.
- Buy policies for hybrid or electric vehicles.
- For Ontario and Newfoundland policyholders, use winter tires from December to March.
Extra Ways to Save Money on TD Car Insurance
In addition to finding discounts, you can reduce insurance premiums by getting rate reductions. You can potentially lower your rates by doing these:
- Request a higher insurance deductible.
- Remove non-essential coverage from your auto insurance policy.
- Practice good driving habits and keep a spotless driving record.
- Drive a low-risk vehicle renowned for its safety.
- Take accredited driving lessons.
TD Car Insurance Services and Features
Most insurance companies have unique programs that only their customers can take advantage of. Here are three unique programs that set TD Insurance apart from other insurers.
TD Insurance Savings Commitment
TD Insurance is committed to ensuring you get the discounts and savings you can qualify for. When you apply for insurance with TD, its advisors will tell you about the available discounts and how you can get them to save as much money as you can on insurance.
TD MyInsurance Online Services
TD’s MyInsurance services allow you to add, modify, and update your auto insurance policies in no time at all, with no paper documents needed.
Your documents are easily accessible from the mobile app, meaning you can show proof of insurance quickly when you get pulled over to save time. The app also offers weather alerts to help you manage driving risk and protect your car in severe weather conditions.
Don’t know how to update or modify your policy? MyInsurance has tutorials to guide you through the entire process.
TD MyAdvantage App
TD MyAdvantage is a voluntary usage-based insurance program that helps you save up to 25% on car insurance as long as you’re a safe driver. You don’t even need to install any equipment – just use the app to record your drives, and TD will calculate the discounts after the first 15 days.
How to File a Claim With TD Car Insurance
If your car gets in an accident, you must contact TD Insurance before bringing it in for repairs. You can contact TD Insurance about claims by:
- Calling the TD Insurance Claims Centre at 1-888-773-7022
- Starting a claims process through the TD Insurance Mobile App
Here’s what you should do after getting into a car accident:
- Ensure everybody involved is safe, and call emergency services if needed.
- Report the accident to TD insurance, and start your claims process.
- Note the details of your surroundings, like the location, weather, and other relevant facts.
- Prepare key information like the vehicle make and model, driver names, and licence plate numbers of everybody involved.
- If necessary, request roadside assistance through the TD Insurance Claims Centre.
Once you’ve filed a claim, you can track its progress through the mobile app or your MyInsurance page. You can also contact the Claims Centre if you have further questions.
TD Insurance policyholders can repair their vehicles at a TD Insurance Auto Centre. You can also rent a replacement car on-site if you need a replacement vehicle while yours is out of commission. If there isn’t a TD Insurance Auto Centre nearby, you can find TD-preferred repair shops through the mobile app.
Whichever option you choose, your repair work has a lifetime warranty for as long as you hold a TD car insurance policy.
TD’s Car Insurance Cancellation Policy
You can cancel your TD car insurance policy anytime and receive premium refunds as soon as your cancellation is processed. There are three ways to cancel your TD car insurance:
- Submit a request through the MyInsurance page.
- Speak with a TD Insurance representative at 1-877-777-7136.
- Complete a cancellation form (available in your policy documents), and send it to a TD Insurance supporting office.
You don’t have to pay anything if you cancel your auto insurance policy at renewal. However, you must pay a fee if you cancel your policy in the middle of a term. Refer to the short-rate cancellation table available in your policy documents for how much you need to pay to cancel your policy.
TD Payment Methods
TD Insurance offers flexible payment options, so you don’t have to worry about preparing multiple payment methods.
You can pay your TD car insurance policy with the following methods:
- Monthly or annual pre-authorized debit
- VISA, American Express, and MasterCard credit cards (only for annual payments)
- Bank cheques (only for annual payments)
- Online banking
- Cash/debit (only for annual payments and must be made in person)
Most Common TD Car Insurance Questions in Canada
How do you cancel TD car insurance?
You can cancel a TD car insurance policy by contacting a TD Insurance representative by phone, sending a cancellation form by mail, or submitting a request through your MyInsurance page. You don’t need to pay cancellation fees if you decide not to renew, but you must pay a fee if you cancel the policy mid-term.
How much is TD car insurance?
TD car insurance costs differ depending on your personal profile, vehicle risk, and numerous other factors. If you want to know the prices before choosing TD Insurance, visit MyChoice and get a quote from our website.
Can I pause my TD car insurance?
You can ask about pausing or suspending your TD car insurance policy by talking to TD Insurance Advisor. Log into your TD MyInsurance page, and send a message through its secure chat feature.
You may be asked for details like which policy you’re suspending, how long you’re planning to suspend it, and whether there are any changes to the policy.
What if I give the wrong address to TD auto insurance?
If you give the wrong address to TD auto insurance, you can contact an insurance advisor to fix this problem. Having the wrong address on your policy can lead to problems in the future, so ensure you update your record with the right address as soon as possible.
How do you apply for TD auto insurance?
You can apply for TD auto insurance by visiting the car insurance page and getting a quote. If you’re already a TD Insurance customer, you can begin the process through your MyInsurance portal instead.
Can I pay TD auto insurance with a credit card?
You can pay TD auto insurance with a credit card. TD Insurance accepts VISA, Mastercard, and American Express cards for annual premium payments.
How do you renew TD auto insurance?
Your TD auto insurance renews automatically if you agree to the updated policy terms. If you don’t agree with your new policy terms or want to change to another insurer, contact a TD Insurance Advisor to cancel or modify your policy.
How do you download your TD auto insurance policy?
You can get your TD auto insurance policy documents through the TD MyInsurance online portal and mobile app. Once you’re logged in, you can view essential insurance documents and download your proof of insurance (or pink card) to your phone.
Can TD car insurance be extended to rental cars?
You can extend TD car insurance protection to rental cars if you have liability coverage for damage to non-owned vehicles or the Grand Touring Solution. If you have neither coverage option, ask the car hire company for its private insurance packages.
How much will my TD car insurance increase after an accident?
How much your TD car insurance increases after an accident depends on who’s responsible, the damage incurred, and many other factors. You may be off the hook for your first at-fault car accident if you have accident forgiveness coverage.
If you don’t, TD Insurance will review your incident and determine the rate increase based on the accident severity.
How much do rates increase after the first TD auto insurance claim?
Rate increases after a TD auto insurance claim depend on the severity of the accident, the people responsible, and other considerations.
What car rental insurance is included with TD credit cards?
TD credit cards include car rental insurance as part of their travel benefits package. With a TD credit card, you’re insured for collision, loss, or damage when driving a rental car.
What does TD car insurance cover?
TD car insurance covers government-required insurance protection and optional extra coverage. Here’s a quick look at TD’s car insurance coverage options:
Government-mandated car insurance
Direct compensation coverage;
Uninsured vehicle coverage;
Accident benefits coverage.
Extra insurance protection
Specified perils protection;
Comprehensive car insurance;
Collision or upset insurance;
All perils protection;
Accident forgiveness coverage;
Uninterrupted driving coverage;
Limited waiver of depreciation.