50+ Ratings on Google!

Ajax Home Insurance

3 minutes can save you hundreds. Enter your postal code below and join thousands of Canadians saving on home insurance.

Secure. No Spam. No Fees.

Why You Can Trust MyChoice

MyChoice serves as an independent intermediary between you, financial institutions and licensed professionals without any additional charge to our users. In the interest of transparency, we disclose that we partner with some of the providers we write about – we also list many financial services without any financial gain. MyChoice does not operate a financial institution or brokerage and to ensure accuracy, our content is reviewed by licensed professionals. Our unique position means that we hold no recurring stake in your policy, ensuring our mission to help Canadians make better financial decisions is free of bias or discrimination. 

How to Compare Home Insurance Quotes with MyChoice

Comparing home insurance quotes with MyChoice is as simple as it gets:

Share Your Home Insurance Needs

Tell us what you want out of your home insurance.

Shop for the Best Deals​

Compare home insurance quotes from the best Canadian insurers.

Secure Your Rates​

Pick the best deal and lock your rates on our site.​

Recent Quotes From Our Users

Monthly PremiumsDate & TimeQuote TypeAgeGenderPostal Code
$87.15Jun 21, 2024, 03:05 PMAuto37FemaleL6A4Z8
$45.37Jun 21, 2024, 06:59 AMHome35MaleM9C1G5
$18.63Jun 21, 2024, 10:28 PMTenant27FemaleM6E2P1

How MyChoice Works



have compared rates and saved money over the last 24 hours
Leah D
Leah D
July 19, 2023
I was able to get a tenant insurance quote and a car insurance quote for my Jeep on the same day, in the same place, super fast and convenient, less than 10 mins! Would use again and would absolutely recommend
Imaan Pirani
Imaan Pirani
July 13, 2023
Got a great quote for my Camry and to my surprise was able to purchase online... They passed all my information to the companies website automatically and it made the process a breeze!” Highly recommend
David Ifejika
David Ifejika
July 13, 2023
I was shopping around for car insurance and a friend suggested that I try MyChoice to help find the least expensive insurance for my partner and I. It was very reliable, straightforward and user friendly. It made finding new car insurance easy!”
Ty Warner
Ty Warner
July 12, 2023
I was able to bundle my home and auto insurance with My Choice. Getting a quote for both was pretty quick, once I had done my auto portion I had the option to easily check my home insurance too so that was ideal!
John Doyle
John Doyle
July 7, 2023
Recently closed on a place in Markham and was able to get a great home insurance quote in minutes with MyChoice. Purchased online through square one right on closing day!
Tim Borgstädt
Tim Borgstädt
July 4, 2023
I don’t always shop around when it comes to my insurance but I’m glad I did this time, My Choice had a good range of options and I was able to chat to a broker once I found a quote that I liked!
Hao Sheng
Hao Sheng
June 30, 2023
I got a great quote from mychoice. Would definitely recommend everyone to start a quote. I got a much cheaper rate from CAA than my TD
Leo Brasil
Leo Brasil
June 19, 2023
Great experience getting an online quote, quick and easy. All things considered, it looks like I'm going to save around $80 a month on my car insurance!
Mark Whiteley
Mark Whiteley
June 19, 2023
I was shopping around for home/auto insurance because my rates seemed to skyrocket on renewal. MyChoice allowed me to easily search for the most competitive rate, and next thing I know I'm saving $400 a year. Strongly recommend it!
Secure. No Spam. No Fees.
Article Contents
Picture of By <span>Matthew Roberts</span>
By Matthew Roberts

Updated on May 31, 2024

Visit author page
Picture of By <span>Matthew Roberts</span>
By Matthew Roberts

Updated May 31, 2024

Visit author page

6 minute read

Article Contents

Quick Facts About Home Insurance in Ajax

  • Ajax home insurance is LESS expensive than the Ontario average.
  • The average annual cost of home insurance in Ajax is around $971.

What Risks Affect Homeowners in Ajax?

Many things can cause home damage. Here are common risks to watch out for as a homeowner in Ajax:


While crime levels differ from city to city, there’s always a risk of your home being damaged in criminal acts like vandalism and theft. In fact, Ontario has the highest crime rate in Canada, with a Crime Severity Index of 88.3. 


Flooding in Ontario is extremely common because so many things can cause it. Some common flood causes include snow melts, heavy rains, and ice jams. Worse still, flash floods can happen with little to no warning. These frequent, sudden floods make flooding the costliest cause of property damage in the province.


On average, Ontario experiences around 1,000 major forest burns each year. These fires can damage homes and force people to evacuate in extreme cases. Fire departments across the province often issue fire bans that restrict the use of fire pits and other similar items to avoid house fires.

On-property accidents

Accidents can happen anytime and anywhere, regardless of how safe your home is. People may hold you liable for slips and falls that happened on your property, which is where home insurance comes in. Home insurance policies can cover numerous costs related to a slip and fall lawsuit.

How Much Does Home Insurance in Ajax Usually Cost?

Home insurance in Ajax costs around $971 annually. Home insurance premiums are affected by factors like your home’s age, roofing type, proximity to fire hydrants, and more.

Using your home as a place of business may also influence your home insurance rates. Using your home for business means more people coming in and out of your property, increasing your liability and risk of losing belongings.

Postal Codes With the Most Expensive Home Insurance in Ajax

L1S and L1N postal codes have above-average home insurance rates in Ajax.

Postal CodeAverage Annual Home Insurance Premium

Postal Codes With the Least Expensive Home Insurance in Ajax

The L1T and L1Z postal codes have some of the cheapest home insurance rates in Ajax.

Postal CodeAverage Annual Home Insurance Premium
L1T, L1Z$936

Housing Data in Ajax

As part of the Greater Toronto Area, Ajax is just a 30-minute drive away from the city centre. In fact, it’s known as one of Toronto’s bedroom communities, with many of the town’s residents travelling to Toronto every day for work.

That said, you can still find lots of work opportunities in Ajax if you don’t want to travel to Toronto. Some of the key industries of Ajax include manufacturing, logistics, food processing, and business services. There’s also a large Amazon fulfillment centre that provides even more job opportunities for residents.The overall average home price in Ajax is higher than Toronto, despite being further from the city centre. But if you’re looking for single-family homes or townhouses, the average prices in Ajax are lower than Toronto’s average price. Plus, living costs in Ajax are 5% lower than in Toronto.

Planning to live in Ajax? You can learn more about the area’s housing landscape through census data. Here’s a look at key housing statistics in Ajax from the 2021 Census of Population:

Type of Occupied Dwelling

Of the 39,485 households surveyed, 64.7% live in single-detached homes, making them the most popular dwelling type in Ajax. In second place are row houses with a 15.2% share, and in third are apartments in buildings over five storeys with a 6.7% share.

Owner vs Renter Stats/Condo vs Non-Condo Owners

From the 25% sample data taken for this census, most Ajax residents (83.5%) are homeowners. With the remaining 16.5% being renters. Most (91.6%) of households surveyed live in non-condominium properties, with the remaining 8.4% being condo residents.

Private Dwellings by Period of Construction: New or Older Homes?

About 21.6% of Ajax’s dwellings were built between 1981 and 1990, which makes up the majority. 16.1% of dwellings in Ajax were built between 1961 and 1980, while 14.5% were built between 2006 and 2010. 2016 to 2021 saw the least construction as of the census, with only 5.5% of the city’s dwellings built during that period.

Major Repairs or Just Maintenance Needed?

Almost all Ajax homes are well-kept since only 3.3% need major repairs. The remaining 96.7% only need regular maintenance and minor repairs.

Homeownership Rate by Age in Ajax

Homeownership in Ajax is quite high among individuals aged 25 and older, with particularly strong rates in those aged 40 and up. The impressive 77.6% ownership rate among the 25 to 39 age group suggests a strong engagement with the housing market among younger adults.

Age GroupHomeownership Rate
15 to 2434.3%
25 to 3977.6%
40 to 5485.1%
55 to 7486.8%
75 and over77.8%

Average Home Price in Ajax by Dwelling Type

Below are the average values of homes in Ajax, categorized by dwelling type:

Type of DwellingAverage Value
Freehold Townhouse$885,051

Ajax Population Growth

Ajax’s population increased steadily from 119,677 to 126,666 people between 2016 and 2021. This indicates a growth rate of roughly 5.8% over the course of the five years.

What Is Not Included in a Typical Home Insurance Policy?

Even if you’ve opted for a highly comprehensive home insurance policy, there are some risks that insurers explicitly don’t include as a covered peril. These are called “exclusions” by home insurers.

Here are the most common home insurance exclusions:

Criminal activities:

If your home was damaged due to criminal activity, it won’t be covered by your insurance policy.

Damage from tenants

Generally, home insurance companies require specific coverage for homeowners/landlords who plan to rent out their properties. A standard home insurance policy won’t include coverage if you rent your home out and the tenant causes damage.


Most policies exclude this risk, but you can cover earthquake losses and damage as an add-on to a standard policy.

Failure to maintain your home

Damage or losses caused by poor home upkeep (e.g., clogged storm drains, broken bannisters) won’t be covered, as your insurer deems it your responsibility to manage wear and tear.

Flood damage

Flooding is typically not covered by a standard policy, but it may be included as an add-on.

Home business activities

Home businesses will need separate home-based business insurance to cover home or equipment damage.

Insect damage

Because this is considered a preventable risk, most insurers don’t cover insect damage.

Mortgage or property taxes

These are separate expenses handled by policy owners as they’re unrelated to your home insurance policy.


Mould caused by poor home maintenance is typically excluded by home insurance policies. Note that this is separate from mould caused by an insured peril, which will be covered by your policy.

Vacant dwelling risks

Many insurers may void your insurance if you leave your home vacant for a prolonged period.

This is by no means an exclusive list of risks typically excluded from a home insurance policy in Ajax. Talk to your home insurance provider to see what’s covered by your policy in case of loss or damage.

Why Do I Need Home Insurance in Ajax?

There are many risks to your Ajax home. From flooding due to heavy rain to fires, unforeseen incidents can damage your home or its attached structures severely, which can take a lot of money to repair. Somebody can even get into an accident on your property, which might result in hefty legal and medical fees.

Unexpected expenses due to these incidents can stretch your finances thin. The good news is that home insurance can help. A home insurance policy can foot your home repair bills if a covered peril damages it. Additionally, it pays for the many costs associated with personal injury lawsuits.

With the many options for home insurance, which one is right for you? There’s no one “best” home insurance policy for everybody, so you need to learn more about home insurance in Ajax to make the right decisions.

Home insurance isn’t legally required in Ajax. That said, having a policy is still a good idea. Home insurance protects you from unforeseen events that cause costly damages. Instead of paying to fix it out of pocket, your policy can lighten the financial load. Here’s a quick look at the reasons why you should get home insurance in Ajax:

Liability protection

Accidents happen; when you do, you want to be protected. Unforeseen events can damage your property or get somebody injured on your property. Home insurance policies foot the liability costs of these incidents, meaning you don’t have to shell out as much for legal fees, medical expenses, and other costs you must pay.

Coverage for loss or damage

Your home is at risk of suffering expensive damage or loss due to natural disasters or other perils like theft and vandalism. A home insurance policy can keep you from becoming house-poor if you need to rebuild your home or find a new one. It can even cover the cost of temporary housing as your home is repaired.

Mortgage requirements

Most mortgage lenders require you to get home insurance. Your lender has a financial interest because they have a stake in the house, so they’ll require you to have a home insurance policy to protect their investments.

How You Can Get Cheap Home Insurance in Ajax

If you’re trying to save money on your preferred home insurance coverage in Ajax, visit our Ontario page for practical tips.


1. Mychoice.ca Internal Data, Home Insurance Quotes Collected, 2024.

2. Mychoice.ca Internal Data, Most Expensive Postal Codes, Ontario, Ajax, Home Insurance Quotes Collected, 2024.

3. Mychoice.ca Internal Data, Least Expensive Postal Codes, Ontario, Ajax, Home Insurance Quotes Collected, 2024.

4. Statistics Canada, 2021, Census of Population, Ontario, Ajax, Housing Statistics. Data Published March 29, 2023.

5. Statistics Canada, 2021, Census of Population, Ontario, Ajax, Homeownership Rate by Age. Data Published December 16, 2022.

6. CREA, Ontario, Ajax, Median Price of Homes by Dwelling Type, 2024.

7. Statistics Canada, 2001-2021, Census of Population Statistics, Ontario, Ajax, Population Statistics. Data Published December 16, 2022.

Congratulations! You made it to the end!

Now, here is the easy part: complete your quote in under 2 minutes
Secure. No Spam. No Fees.

Discover More About

Read our digest of the recent report on home insurance profitability. Learn how extreme weather affects insurer profits and your premiums.
Sump pumps prevent your home from flooding and provide home insurance benefits. Click through to learn more about sump pumps and how they can save you money.
While home insurance typically doesn’t cover furnace repairs, you can still save money through regular maintenance and government rebates. Click through to learn more.

Even More Ways To Save